Saturday, January 28, 2012

What to do now?

His defence was that this was a bush, and he had a right to relieve himself anywhere he chose to, even if that anywhere was my patch - the one I have so carefully tended and looked after for months now! Would I knowingly let my children take a cob of maize from this field, even if I chopped down the one that was urinated on?  What guarantee do I have that the rest of the plants have not suffered the same fate?  And worst of all, the culprit I caught red handed was not about to apologise, or even listen to my rantings!  I just rolled myself into a ball and sat squat in the middle of the patch and cried.    How beautiful and green the maize looks, how lush and strong and full of potential, all the beauty taken away by one thoughtless action on the part of someone who did not even bother to think how their actions would look and or feel, from another's perspective.  

All the toil and effort, the weeding and the tending, all the fertiliser, woman hours lost, just gone down the drain because my patch is soiled!  Some blundering idiot saw to it and why oh why, could they not pick any other field or patch, why, in all that vast expanse of untended fields, did he have to pick mine?

Such is the fate of vulnerability and lack of ownership.  People of this my fourthworld, the reason why I cried was because finally, the truth hit home.  There is a reason why other people work hard to own things, then put huge fences around what they own, employ guard dogs to assist in fending off idiots, then enjoy the fruit of their labour.

No comments:

Post a Comment