Monday, January 9, 2012

My turn to listen

Reading through Mr. Napoleon Hill's book has made me a better, changed person.  For me, it was the right book at the right time.  Full stop.  A surprising thing I notice is that I have this negative aspect to  my personality which I was not aware of, but which mirrors itself in a lot of people I have met over the years.  It is what makes me remark to them that they have negative personalities or are unhappy people, because the same aspects in me would be drawn by the same in them. Wow.

I am trying very hard to listen, because, basically, I talk too much.  This weekend, I stopped.  Yes stopped. See, when you stay with an elderly parent, they seem like they nag.  Truth is, it is you who would have lost patience.  So, here I was at  snapping point, listening to my mother when suddenly, I told myself to stop and did just that.  What followed thereafter were words from my mouth, reminding both me and my mother how she had to be patient with me when I was a teeny toddler and why it was now my turn to listen. My mother was so surprised and moved by the words that she cried.  

This post is dedicated to Mary  - a wonderful, beautiful, intelligent, special woman who mothered me.  There is something about loving one's parent when they are still alive, and about giving them your time, not just on Mother's day.  If I can, I will try my best to make every day a happy mother's day for my mother.  Better do the same all you people of this, my beautiful fourthworld. 

No comments:

Post a Comment