Thursday, October 13, 2011

Great Expectations

This is a serious debate that is raging about the twins.  One appears to be academically inclined while the other looks good for atheletics.  If the decision was mine alone, I would send one to a school where they produce great academicians and the other to a school where they produce great sportsmen.  In my world,  most countries have not  bothered to change the school curriculum for the past decade.  Same text books, same teaching schools, same approach to education even when it is blatantly clear that its letting most of the populace down.  Education in itself is not bad, but my argument is that it has to have some relevance as to what significance what is being taught will play in one's life as one progresses through days of this, our journey into awareness which others call life.  How relevant is Pythogoras' Theorem in this day and age and what help will it give me to know the bones of the skeleton if I have no desire to become a doctor?  I know that I risk the ire of some parents in voicing this concern about the irrelevance of most school carricula in this, my 4thworld but surely and honestly, someone somewhere sees what I see.  Drogba, a footballer, earns more than most, if not all  people with doctorates.  

So, do I consciously and knowingly subject my children to years of useless data accumulation which,  at some time assured them of a blue collar job at the end of all that torture but does not have a guarantee of that anymore?  If I do not take that route, should I second them to a professional so that they learn a trade early and beat unemployment or, do I just leave them alone and see?  So far they have learnt the Queen's language without attending creche, they can count to 100 and they write from one to 21 (albeit from right to left) and they know a number of the letters of the alphabet, not by rote, but really know them .  In fact, they are far more literate than kids their own age who have spent the last two years in creche.  So, where do I go to find schools which will provide solutions that work for life for my children in this, my 4thworld today?  Do I dare expect different and or better from my children knowing that the education system I may have to subject them to (by force of circumstance) offers little or nothing in terms of equipping them realistically for the world that will await them at the end of this  ..... this education experiment?  
      

No comments:

Post a Comment