Thursday, October 6, 2011

Aunt Joy

Once I have her permission, I will disclose the identity of aunty Joy.  We sat for an hour yesterday and spoke.  She was diagonised as HIV Positive in 2000.  Her husband died in 2006 and she started taking medication in 2008.  She is a born again christian now and not only that, she actually lives what she believes.  No more dates with married men, no more going to church and living a parallel life but just her and her genuine love for the Bible and God.

Of course this would not be remarkable were it for the fact that this is a woman who should, by her own account be dead.  She went from a size 38 to size 32.  Her skin changed to blotches of black and brown and she lost friends, relatives and some family.  Worst blow was losing her job when she collapsed at work. 

If you see her now, you smile.  She talks openly about her experiences and what has been happening to her life and if she gives consent, not only will I provide photographs of her now, but I will ask if she will tell her story in her own words.

I cannot keep promising and not deliver.  To me, aunt Joy is not only a remarkable but fantastic woman.  I am priviledged to know her.  

No comments:

Post a Comment