Saturday, November 5, 2011

Oprah

I admire this woman.  For good reasons too.  I know that I am not a fan of talk shows and frankly, I have caught just a few of the thousands she has done over the years but the few that I caught were worth catching.  I remember the episode she spoke to members of the Ku Klux Clan and they exchanged insults so politely, on air, I just had to give it to the woman for taking it without even batting an eyelid.  We all know, rightly or wrongly that she favoured Mr. Obama, who came on to be the first American President of colour and its not just about the colour here, its about people from my neck of the woods because overnight, every disadvantged child could be anything and everything.  Every human being with parents of lowly descent suddenly, overnight, became human beings capable of making the same decisions, the same actions, as everyone else in the first world.  No matter how much anyone would like to down play the humble cook who sent his son to school overseas, there is no denying that the actions of that lowly man, put billions of people in the limelight overnight, because it ceased to be a race just for the Presidency, but a validation and vindication to all the lies, petty comments, idiotic remarks and uninformed and biased reasoning about a vast majority of people whose only deficiency in life, is poverty.

While Oprah had the voice, she lacked the power.  You need the two to make sustained and lasting change. Mr. Obama will go down in history as the first American President of colour, but to the vast majority of people in my world, he will be remembered for proving that all men are equal.  

No comments:

Post a Comment