Saturday, December 10, 2011

Weeds

I looked at the field and vowed that I would do something about it.  Just plain grit and determination.  So I took that same short hoe (fourthworld technology) and bent double to work. Half an hour later, I stopped looking up once every few minutes and started planning in my mind.  Next half hour saw me come up with a clear plan of what had to be done and how.  Five gruelling hours later, I surveyed the transformed former weed chocked patch of land, turned into something resembling a garden.  The struggling shoots, now clearly visible, looked pretty.  The newly formed calluses became badges of honour.  People, please believe me when I say that I am not cut out to be a farmer.  Notwithstanding this loud ascertion, it is with pride that I pass through and check on the roughly half acre patch which all this fuss is about.  To me, it epitomises re-birth.  I understand the seeds' struggle with the weeds.  I also understand the weeds' struggle with the seeds.  For each plays a role in shaping the other's growth.  Ultimately, for me to harvest, I must keep the weeds in check.... and patiently tend the garden till harvest time.        

No comments:

Post a Comment