Monday, December 5, 2011

Green Saturday and Red & Blue Sunday

Unlike the majority of people in my world, I am not cut out to be a farmer  ... but try telling that to my mother!  She loves spending time in the bush, with  plants (thongs) and animals (thingies that bite) and soil (dirt) and boy, does she talk about how important it is to plant your own food (why does she think supermarkets are so abundant and popular?)  Much as this is not a profession I am ever likely to be successful at, I do, however, realise its importance to everyone's livelihood so I spent the day pretending to understand what was being said, making the right noises at the right time and 'absorbing' much wisdom.  In actual fact, my mind came up and finished designing a triple storey house with multiple lounges, sauna, jacuzzi, all outdoor sporting facilities, the entire works.  She believes she has imparted wisdom untold.  I  made a silent vow never to force my children to do anything they totally dislike!  Of course, no one forced me but having made a decision to spend time with my only living parent on this particular Saturday, and having told her of my intentions in advance, I suppose I only have myself to blame for having pre-arranged the day with her in advance.  

Come Sunday, I have another appointment, this time with the twins.  Over and above the usual Sunday activities, (please put what passes for normal in your family because ours is not), one twin wants to play cricket, football and then have a haircut.  The other wants to watch cartoons, ride his bicycle and have us go  and visit.  Both are determined little people and they both want me to do what they want with each of them. Compromise and we do one from each's list till we finish everything.  Then when I think we have covered everything, one twin starts saying I covered more of the other twin's list and the other says the same, more like one country in this my fourthworld stating that another got more aid and more donors and more everything ....  I did find time to slot in a movie for myself and that, was most enjoyable!

No comments:

Post a Comment