Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Ward 2B

"No one tells me where to go if I go to hospital anymore.  I can read for myself where it says Ward 2B".  That was the motivation behind my 75 year old mother going to school for the first time in her life this year.  She had the brains, otherwise she would not have produced me but can you imagine what it was like for women back in those days, father with enough money to educate but because you happen to be the wrong sex, stay at home!  How far and how beautifully times have changed.

Not only can my mom now read Ward 2B, she is actually encouraging women her own age to do the same.  I spent my birthday listening to her read.  Looking at her rapt expression, the care with which she held the photocopied book and  the passion with which she read, it made me realise how I and a lot of our children take education for granted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment